WHAT IS Hover Craft? an annual holiday shopping extravaganza. This year we will host over 100 artists, crafters, makers and creatives of all sorts selling orignal creations they have designed and made with their own hands. Come and support our creative community while you buy unique gifts for everyone on your list.

05 December 2013

Vendor Spotlight: Beth Miller




This is my work space as we speak, although I have made similar such necklaces for hovercraft a couple years back, I do not recall the process being so tedious.  At this point I have already selected the wood and cut each piece, they then were sanded and buffed out in order to guild selected surfaces with authentic silver and gold leaf.
The metal comes in extremely thin sheets as seen here and must be carefully set over the proper sizing.
My favorite pieces this year are those made with spalted ash wood, which gets these beautiful dark markings from a natural occurring decompositions process in the wood.

These wooden crystal-like pendants were originally inspired by the geometric shaped pinatas I made for the first Hovercraft.  I decided to bring them back after getting so much wonderful feedback and love for them (a huge thanks to all the rad chicks I see sporting them around).  This time around I have simplified them a bit and am trying to emphasis the aesthetic of the wood as much as the metallics.  They also will be strung on either sterling silver or 14K gold chains in a variety of lengths which is a huge upgrade from the originals.

My favorite part about Hovercraft each year is connecting  the wonderful creative people I see day to day with all the little treasures they make…..and of course I am always up for a trade.  I think this year will be especially fun in the new and much larger venue, Turner Hall.  

Richard Yoo, whom will be sharing a booth with me again this year, and I also have small notebooks in the works.  These will be clever, little, reference themed sets decorated with hand drawn graphics, prints and patterns.

Recently I have moved into a new studio space in Walker"s Point at The Pitch Project where I have been spending my days as of late. Please check it out at http://thepitchproject.tumblr.com I am also at the Milwaukee Art Museum very part time working on inventory of their entire collection of prints, drawings, and photographs, this has been a great experience and always is a huge source of inspiration.  Otherwise I bartend a few nights a week at All Purpose Bar and Kitchen.  I look forward to seeing the continually growing Hovercraft crowd out this year. And as always, thank you again to Cortney, Ashley, Alyssa and Vanessa for all your hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment